Montclair State University | NJ
from the client
“Nitterhouse Concrete had to replicate the Spanish mission-style architecture to match the existing structures on this campus. In order to do so, a key innovation was developed for this project with the use of bolted-on precast concrete arches. The arches were produced in pieces that could be easily shipped to the site, then bolted and welded to the spandrels. As a result, a fully rounded arch spandrel was achieved at a fraction of the cost of having to produce and erect the arched spandrels as one composite unit. Precast concrete was the perfect choice to create the fluid rounded shape.”
- Parking Structure for University
- 7-1/2 levels
- 1,532-space Student Parking Facility
- 429,984 SF of Precast Concrete Components
- 429,984 SF – Double Tees
- 2,349 LF – Beams
- 2,520 LF – Columns
- 2,445 SF – Solid Slabs
- 196 SF – Precast Panels
- 39,034 SF – Prestressed Panels
- 34,213 SF – Horizontal Litewalls
- 9,505 SF – Shearwalls
- 5,885 SF – Stair Panels
- 4,854 SF – Miscellaneous Architectural
- 28 Stair Units
- Location of proposed parking garage would allow alternate means of transportation from the main entrance to the interior core of the campus.
- Natural-grade differentials created an economical and aesthetic garage.
- Design replicates the Spanish mission style architecture of other campus structures.
- Walkway was incorporated connecting the southern corner of the structure to the existing pedestrian circulation system.