Newark Bears Parking Garage | Newark, NJ
from the client
“The decision to construct a totally precast/prestressed concrete structure for the Essex County Sportsplex Parking Garage was an easy one to make very early during the design process. The design of the exterior spandrel panels was a key factor in that decision, along with the precaster’s reputation for producing durable, quality products, speed of construction at the jobsite, and other modular constructability issues. Once a designer uses precast in their designs…they’re going to love it.”
- PCI Co-Winner for Best Parking Structure
- Parking Structure for Newark Bears Stadium & Essex County Offices
- 5 levels
- 140,000 SF of Precast Concrete Components
- 98,856 SF – Double Tees
- 432 LF – Beams
- 828 LF – Columns
- 19,355 SF – Spandrel Panels
- 1,689 SF – Stair Panels with Landings
- 3,427 SF – Shear Walls
- 5,303 SF – Litewalls
- Built to provide parking for commuters, tourists, & county employees during the day and double as safe, convenient parking for stadium events.
- Red brick, beige brick, and glossy black tiles were hand-laid at the plant in spandrel panels.
- Field-set brick in stair towers matched to spandrel brick.
- Entire project completed within 1 month from start to finish.
- Horizontal, thin, multiple bands of contrasting brick on the side-by-side elevation spandrel panels.
- Top level of garage adorned with flags representing each Atlantic League team.
- Large, brushed-aluminum back-lit sign displaying “405” mounted to the top façade of the garage, indicating distance from home plate.